Best things to do in Lisbon with children
Join us and take note of everything, because today we bring you 4 more than interesting plans to discover Lisbon with children. Let's go!
What to do in Lisbon with children: 4 must-do activities
1. Riding with the tramway 28
Tramways are the most popular means of transportation to move around Lisbon and get to know its most famous neighborhoods in a quick, comfortable and original way.
Among all of them, the tramways of line 28 are by far the most iconic in the capital, as they are restored models from 1930 and very much loved (and used) by both locals and tourists.
Thanks to the route that runs along this line, you can discover some of the most representative neighborhoods of Lisbon (Alfama, Baixa, Estrela, etc.), as well as its main monuments and buildings. And all while your children enjoy riding the tramway up and down the steep streets and admiring the incredible views of the city from the highest points. 100% recommended!
- Are you looking forward to seeing more? Discover the Portuguese capital with our sunset boat cruise lisbon and live a truly unique experience. You will repeat it for sure! -
2. Visiting the Park of Nations
Visiting the Park of Nations is a must on our list of things to see in Lisbon with children, and for very good reasons.
This place is one of the most vibrant tourist and leisure areas of the capital, where we can find the Vasco de Gama Shopping Center, several parks and green areas, theaters, quality restaurants, and the beautiful and relaxing promenade, among other attractions.
Some of the most outstanding for children are undoubtedly the Oceanarium and the Pavilion of Knowledge, as well as the cable car, from which you can admire the whole area from above.
El Oceanario de Lisboa es uno de los acuarios más importantes de Europa y un lugar muy aconsejable para visitar en familia.
The Lisbon Oceanarium is one of the most important aquariums in Europe and a highly recommended place to visit with the family.
Here, both adults and children can enjoy various thematic exhibits that simulate the different habitats of the marine environment (Atlantic, Antarctic, Indian and Pacific Oceans), as well as a huge variety of fish and other aquatic species: sharks, rays, jellyfish, penguins, otters, octopuses, turtles, etc.
In addition, the Oceanarium offers a multitude of activities and educational experiences, such as touch screens with information about the different animals and plants, games, interactive exhibits... Your children will love it!
Pavilion of Knowledge
The Pavilion of Knowledge is a science and technology museum aimed primarily at children and with a strong educational focus. Undoubtedly, another must-see when travelling to Lisbon with children.
The whole enclosure is focused on offering an interactive and fun experience for both adults and children of all ages, without forgetting its important didactic component.
Throughout all its exhibitions, it is possible to learn many interesting facts about the scientific phenomena that we live day by day in a very pleasant and simple way, with well differentiated thematic spaces linked to physics, chemistry, astronomy, biology and a long etcetera.
3. Visit the Lisbon Zoo
The Lisbon Zoo is another must-see if you decide to travel to the Portuguese capital with small children.
Located in the center of the city, this place offers visitors the opportunity to see a great variety of animal species in an environment very similar to their natural habitat, as well as to enjoy shows and other recreational and educational activities for the youngest members of the family.
In addition to being able to experience fascinating wild creatures such as lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, hippopotamuses, bears, monkeys and many more, the center is committed to the protection and conservation of species and the natural environment. Proof of this are its ambitious captive breeding programs and projects for the conservation of endangered species, among others.
4. Visiting the Alfama, Baixa and Belém neighborhoods
Any list of what to see in Lisbon with children (or on your own) must include a stroll through some of the capital's most iconic neighborhoods, such as Alfama, Baixa and Belém.
In them, you can not only immerse yourself in the Lisbon lifestyle, but also discover some of the most emblematic monuments and buildings of the city.
- The Alfama district: known for being the home of fado, this neighborhood of steep streets and stairs is perfect to discover first-hand the most bohemian side of Lisbon and to admire incredible panoramic views of the entire city. Special mention must be made of the Lisbon Cathedral and the imposing St. George's Castle, two of the most beautiful and iconic buildings in the city.
- The Baixa district: Baixa is the nerve center of Lisbon. A key place for the day-to-day life of the locals and where most of the city's recreational, commercial and tourist activity is concentrated. Do not miss the opportunity to stroll through its streets, admire the neoclassical architecture of its buildings and visit important sites such as the Trade Square (Praça do Comércio), the Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, or go up the Santa Justa Elevator if you want to enjoy breathtaking views.
- The Belém district: Belém is one of the most beautiful and touristic districts of Lisbon, thanks to its refreshing green areas and its rich historical and cultural heritage. Two of the must-see attractions in this area are the spectacular Jerónimos Monastery and the Belém Tower. Oh, and don't forget to try the cream cakes, a typical local dessert that will delight children and other lovers of sweets.
And with this, we have reached the end of the article. We hope you found it interesting and useful to discover the best things to see in Lisbon with children. Don't wait any longer to come and get to know this incredible city!
Remember that at FRS we can help you organize and enjoy all your getaways like never before, thanks to the multiple ferry lines and other tourist experiences that we put at your disposal, such as our relaxing tagus river cruise. Check our prices and conditions and book your tickets!